Cut, serve and watch your guests faces as you reveal the surprise!
- 500g butter, at rooom temp.
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups of caster sugar
- 5 cups self raising flour
- 2 cups full cream milk
- 1 tbs yellow food colouring
- 1 tsp red food colouring
- 350g Menz FruChocs Megamix
- 700g good quality chocolate
- 600mls thickened cream
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
Like it? Share it!
For the Sponge
- Preheat oven to 175c.
- Grease and line 2 x 30cm round spring form pans with baking paper.
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, two at a time and continue to beat.
- Add half of the flour, and hlaf of the milk, beat until the combined and repeat using the last of the flour and milk.
- Once combined, add the food colouring and mix until the cake batter resembles a light orange colour.
- Pour half the micture into one cake tin with remainder going into the second (if you don't have two tins, store remaining batter in the fridge while the first cakes cooks), and then repeat the process with the remaining batter.
- Bake at 175c for 60 mins, checking at the 50 min mark by inserting a skewer in the middle of the cake.
- Once baked, remopve from the oven and set aside for 5 mimns in pan. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Once the cake is cooled, place in the fridge for at least 2 hours. This makes cutting the cake much easier.
For the Mousse
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over simmering water.
- Once melted, set aside to cool slightly.
- While chocolate is cooling, whip the cream with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the chocolate and stir through with a spoon.
- Cover and set in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
For the Syrup
- While cake is cooling and moouse is setting make your sugar syrup by placing the sugar, water and jam in a saucepan and heat to dissolve.
- Stir to combine, set aside.
- Slice sponges in half.
- Taking the bottom layer, spread the top of it with syrup followed by an even layer of mousse.
- Using a knife and saucer, cut a hole from the second layer of cake.
- Place sponge on top of the bottom layer, repeating the syrup and mousse process again.
- The third layer also needs a hole in the centre, so repeat step 3, followed by step 4.
- Once completed, you will need to fill the centre of your cake with 350g of Menz FruChocs Megamix.
- Once the FruChocs are level with the top of the third layer of sponge, place the final layer of cake on top.
- Cover entire cake with remaining mousse, working it down the sides of the cake.
- Watch the reactions on your guests faces, as you cut, serve and reveal the surprise!